bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Finished basement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:18 am GMT    Post subject: Finished basement Reply with quote

Looking to buy a new construction town house in the Boston area and am wondering whether to finish the basement. The builder wants $15k to finish 400 sq ft. Do you all think that it is a good investment? When I look to sell the house, will that result in a sale price of more than $15k?
Brian C

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to finish the basement or are you going to "finish" it as living space? Big difference between the two and the cost might be much more than the $15k you were quoted.

As stated here before, finished living space that you can count when selling must have walls, ceiling, working electricity, heating, and access to another finished area.

$15,000 / 400 sq ft = $38 sq ft. That isn't that expensive if they "finish" the area. I helped my parents finish off their basement, it costs us about $3k in materials for 1000 sq ft. We did all the work ourselves and finished it in about 10 total days.

How big is the condo? If the additional 400 sq ft gives you more than 20% overall sq ft, then it would be a good investment.
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:18 am GMT    Post subject: Passed on house Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

We actually decided to pass on the house. Supposedly they were going to put walls up, ceiling, electrical , heating, and closets but no bathroom. The living area was 1700 sq ft without basement so it sounds like that would have been a good investment.

The house was located on a very busy road (Weston St in Waltham) so even if we had decided to make an offer on it we thought that maybe people interested in the extra space (for a family) wouldn't have been interested in that property because of the busy road.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the condos you are talking about.
Last year, I looked at one of them and thought they were very nice inside. I know the developer, seen his other work throughout Waltham and its quality stuff. But this is the first one, he's really going to get hurt on. The location is very bad, right in the middle of route 20 and vernon st. Too much traffic and noise for the price they want.

Its been on the market for $435k for almost 300 days now without ONE price drop. Another one of his properties that I almost bought, I forced him down to $395k before I found my cheap rental.
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Agreed Reply with quote

I agree - $435k is too much for that property. They need to drop the price about $40k. I don't know who they think wants to pay a premium for 8500 sq ft of non-fenced off land but is willing to live with high traffic 20 ft in front of their house. We decided to not even bother offering. The listing agent sent us some docs yesterday about it as we requested and replied that they just received an offer for it. We'll see if it sells and for what price.
balor123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:48 am GMT    Post subject: Price Reply with quote

What was the other property? What was the list price that you forced him down from? I'm told that builders won't negotiate much on price but I'm curious to hear it for myself. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:20 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the property was located on Clark St.
Coldwell Banker was the middleman, but I met with the developer just by chance and we talked about price on the unit I saw.

It was originally listed for $410k, it was right before winter and he wanted to sell it. Offered $395k and to close in 30 days, he agreed if I could line it up. While I was getting my financing checked out, found a rental closer to my work for 1/3 the cost of my potential mortgage.

The unit did ended up selling 2 months later for $403k.
dennn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:11 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Agreed Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
I agree - $435k is too much for that property. They need to drop the price about $40k. I don't know who they think wants to pay a premium for 8500 sq ft of non-fenced off land but is willing to live with high traffic 20 ft in front of their house. We decided to not even bother offering. The listing agent sent us some docs yesterday about it as we requested and replied that they just received an offer for it. We'll see if it sells and for what price.

They always "just recieved an offer."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.