bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Boston's Crumbling Economy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:24 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Other posters here have commented on the unwillingness of new MIT graduates to start high tech companies in Cambridge.

Well, that's globalization of capital for you. What's happened is that VC money has expected the MIT/Harvard entreprenuers to start ventures with partners abroad, as a part of the funding process. What that does it that it either consolidates the startups solely around Kendall Sq or they move out really quick w/o a net gain of jobs in the region, overall. Even during the roaring 90s, this wasn't the case. Today, the steps are Kendall Sq breeder, east Asia for dev/production, and then when the operations fully mature, a setup on Rtes 128/495 to handle the clients locally or nationally, if northeast based. I think what you're seeing is the final effects of a RE bubble where the model of RE only goes up has made the Boston area, esp Harvard Sq, unattractive to local businesses. The end result is another New Haven CT-to-Wilmington DE type of region as oppose to the Harvard Sq of the storied past.
BK- former Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:40 pm GMT    Post subject: Harvard Square in the 1980s Reply with quote

How did Harvard Square of the 1980s become what it was - A BIG RECESSION/STAGFLATION of the 1970s. The economy in Boston was booming in the mid 1960s and then the TECH CRASH of th 1960s hit. One of my families friend went from a High Tech job with RCA to a Toll Collector Job on the Tobin Bridge in the early 1970s. Ultimately, you my make more money as a toll collector when you consider Healthcare and Pension benfits. So, whats happening today in Boston happened in the 1960s-early 1970s. There is really very little in this World that is new if you are a student of history.

Harvard Square of 2007 has been created by a booming REIT/retail investment environment. This doesn't change until inflation drives up the cost of imported goods (this will hurt the retail sector). The Commercial Real Estate market has to hit the skids (lots of folks think this is just beginning) to reduce the cost of lease store space.

I miss the days of Old when Harvard Square included: the Wursthaus (sp?) , the Tasty , and Grendels (basement bar). I must be getting old!
Former Harvard Sq fan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I miss the days of Old when Harvard Square included: the Wursthaus (sp?) , the Tasty , and Grendels (basement bar). I must be getting old

I think a sliver of Grendel is still around but two-thirds of it disappeared sometime during the rebuilding of that Winthrop St unit.

Quote:
One of my families friend went from a High Tech job with RCA to a Toll Collector Job on the Tobin Bridge in the early 1970s.

Looks like EasyPass and the Charlie kiosks are taking away some of the best careers out there. Mass will always have tolls but probably not many other careers out there.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:49 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like EasyPass and the Charlie kiosks are taking away some of the best careers out there.

After every boom/bust cycle, esp one with a huge credit bubble in tech or RE, govt work usually comes back in vogue. Unfortunately, since property taxes formed a bulk of the local govts' budgets, I don't think they'll save the next crop from a major slide into underemployment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.