bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Boston's Crumbling Economy
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:17 am GMT    Post subject: Boston's Crumbling Economy Reply with quote

Read this link:

http://www.safehaven.com/article-7983.htm
Housing Prices

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Real estate prices Reply with quote

But if the local Boston economy is so bad, then why are housing prices so out of line with incomes? Will we ever go back to historical levels with respect price to income ratios?

I've seen some discussion on this forum about this, but there was no conclusion. What should a new buyer with a household income of $90K pay for a median home in the burbs?

Any comments are welcome. I'm not good with numbers or finance, so please keep it simple!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats an interesting link, but it seems to not jostle with what I've seen. It seems like the tech companies in Greater Boston are hiring like crazy, and every time I speak with recruiters they go on about how hard it is to find good people.

Though I could easily see high technology booming while things like restaurants/law offices/boutique services being down. The photos in question seem to be a ride down Mass Ave and not a drive on I-95; high tech is more likely to be on the latter.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Real estate prices Reply with quote

Housing Prices wrote:
But if the local Boston economy is so bad, then why are housing prices so out of line with incomes?

Housing prices can be out of line with incomes because markets can be irrational in the short to medium term. If you want a good read which convincingly disproves the universality of the efficient market hypothesis, I highly recommend Irrational Exuberance. The book also contains a discussion of why prices deviate from fundamentals at times.

- admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Stupid question again Reply with quote

Admin,

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think will be a good point to buy a home at in the near future? Specifically, what price to income ratio, or is that a bad metric to use?

I'm trying to make sure I don't buy and then prices drop further. If I lose my job in the near future then I'd be in serious trouble if I can't sell the place I bought for at least he same price I paid for it.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The photos in question seem to be a ride down Mass Ave and not a drive on I-95; high tech is more likely to be on the latter.

I still see a bunch of 'For Lease' signs on 128 and Middlesex Turnpike, the other tech highway, still hasn't recovered from the '01/'02 implosion. What's happened is a very weak recovery in the stretch between the old Genuity complex [Woburn/Burlington] and Parametric Tech [Wellesley/Newton].

What recruiters are bitching about is that the targeted experienced ones, laid off in past rounds, have left town for greener pastures and now, they're complaining about the fact that the only people left are either too old (45+ ala age discrimination) or too entry level (recent grads w/ a year's work under the belt). Well... I'm in my thirties and as soon as I get the pink slip, I'm outta here. Within a short while, Fidelity (and its other mainstay Gillette) will be disposing of a few thousand employees and these people will then have to get either new jobs or leave town. I see no need to remain in a place with go-nowhere aging companies. I'll return home, during the summer/fall, during retirement age, to see friends and family but as far as careers go, if one's not in a health care biz or Harvard/MIT researcher-admin type, then this area really isn't the place to start a life.
JCK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:54 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't even anecdotal evidence. No comparison is being made; just a few pictures of "for lease" signs. Third rate Italian restaurants and couple movie rental places go out of business and economy of the whole city is crumbling? Please.

I've seen recent reports that the downtown office market is doing very well. Vacancies are lower than they've been in years, and office rents are reported to be rising. Someone must be occupying that space.

This sort of "evidence" needs to be taken for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:09 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Boston ITer"]
Quote:
What recruiters are bitching about is that the targeted experienced ones, laid off in past rounds, have left town for greener pastures and now, they're complaining about the fact that the only people left are either too old (45+ ala age discrimination) or too entry level (recent grads w/ a year's work under the belt).

Are you sure about that?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:14 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:
This isn't even anecdotal evidence. No comparison is being made; just a few pictures of "for lease" signs. Third rate Italian restaurants and couple movie rental places go out of business and economy of the whole city is crumbling? Please.

JCK,

A comparison is not necessary for something to be anecdotal. In fact, a comparison would make something less anecdotal. I fully agree with you that this article doesn't offer any solid evidence, hence the "anecdotal" qualifier, which in other words means that this should not be the basis for any conclusions. What it does offer is the starting point for a discussion on what might be worth investigating. Are the number of "for lease" signs actually higher than in the past? If there is an increase, is this just a Mass Ave phenomenon? Is it limited to certain types of businesses, as you suggest?

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. What do you think will be a good point to buy a home at in the near future? Specifically, what price to income ratio, or is that a bad metric to use?

I think that is an excellent metric to use - perhaps the best. An exact target value will depend on what data series you use to compute the ratio. There was a discussion on this recently in another thread, and the historical ratios discussed ranged from 3 - 5, so it will depend on where you get your income and price statistics. What I would suggest is to find the longest running series that you can and calculate the running average and running standard deviation for the price to income ratio. I wouldn't be comfortable buying if the ratio is over 1 standard deviation above the average. Conversely if it is over 1 standard deviation below the average, that could signal a great time to buy. There is a graph and additional details on this method in another thread, though the data is a bit old now and doesn't yet reflect a good portion of the correction which has already happened.

Quote:

I'm trying to make sure I don't buy and then prices drop further. If I lose my job in the near future then I'd be in serious trouble if I can't sell the place I bought for at least he same price I paid for it.

That sounds like more than enough reason to wait. I would suggest as a prerequisite to buying that you build up enough of a cash cushion beforehand so that being laid off wouldn't be catastrophic.

- admin
AgentGrn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Are you sure about that?

Looks to me like most of those are all senior-level positions or management ... except for the one entry-level QA position.

The DBA is the only mid-level position. This shouldn't surprise anyone with the amount of entry-to-mid level support and engineering either being outsourced or nearsourced.

The industry kills off its incubation grounds and then wonders why they can't find anyone experienced. It boggles the mind.
john p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:27 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin:

If the P/E ratio for homes ranges from 3 to 5. What do you think the range is for interest rate? I mean the corresponding interest rate affects affordability and the percentage of household income to service the mortgage is really the best measure for the fundamentals right?

If you look at the history of interest rate here:

http://mortgage-x.com/trends.htm

Would you say that since the early 90's the average mortgage rate is somewhere around 7%, so if the P/E range is from 3-5, would the average 4 times average salary be associated with the 7% and this see-saws up and down on either side - P/E on one side, interest rate on the other keeping the percentage of household income to service the mortgage a steady trend? I'm trying to find that chart which courses this.

I think the anecdote is great, it's part of the overall mosaic, but I too think that it seems to be a trip down Mass Ave. It begs the question, why are these types of businesses hitting the skids or are rents getting so high that we are having a sort of commercial gentrification in this neighborhood. This is important; I know people from NYC would tell me that they would see grocery stores closing up shop and seeing dry cleanings opening up (a tell sign that it was becoming more white collar).

I think what the anecdote also points to the fact is that perception is reality. If you're buying or selling to someone, take a ride down the streets that they are traveling each day (figuratively and literally if you can). See what they are seeing, that is their reality. We had a guy saying that the high end condo market was taking off in the early winter. He got paddled by a bunch of people because it defied the seemingly common perception. Later we did find out that there was a new segment of "wealth" buyers, the lower dollar value brought in foreign buyers, and the big year in stocks brought in some of the financial people. We had a price segment align with a segment of the population that was winning when many were staying flat. I love trying to assess each anecdote and see if it fits in like a piece of a fractal to an overall ecosystem.

I do think that people put out disinformation though, it is unprofessional, but it happens. Over the last few months, I have been starting to think about the real estate agents for commercial properties. I wonder what the typical length of rental or leases that people sign on for and what the associated square footages are i.e. someone wouldn't rent 100,000 square fees for a 1 year lease. So if Boston is becoming more of a feast/famine type of place and we have an uneven demand, what is going on with commercial properties? If Boston is an expensive place to do business is it partly because commercial rents are overvalued? I think the commercial rental brokers are certainly arm-chair economists and will be cheerleaders that things are going to go through the roof. I wonder if commercial properties rents are going through a correction as well. I do find that this segment of businessmen spend a lot of time and money to glad-hand politicians so that they are in a positive light in the community.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Interest rates Reply with quote

John p,

Interest rates impact the price to income ratio, for certain. However, if you are worried about the resale value of a home, then I would argue that it is best to buy when rates are high and coming down, rather than when rates are low and going up. Don't you are agree?

Buying real estate in Boston, when a downtrend is firmly in place is a fool's game. See the Case-Shiller index which shows that the downtrend in Boston housing market is firmly in place. Prices will keep dropping.

http://macromarkets.com/csi_housing/MSA/boston.asp
john p

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:12 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, get the lowest possible principal amount.

What is tough though is that sometimes you have to play the hand you are dealt. If its going to take a decade for something to happen, thats a big chapter of your life.

I further agree that you'd be a fool... Which is why my wife and I decided that whatever we bought, we'd be happy for at least a decade and if we hit a downward cycle we could still swing it and be happy there.

I think there is another way to look at it however. As an architect sometimes we separate things in plan and sometimes in section; meaning in New England the private areas are separated mostly in section: a second floor. In Florida it is typically separated in plan: a bedroom wing. Can you get the best of both worlds? I think that if you choose the right town you can get an affordable place to live and still cash in on Boston salaries. I see that the places that house the people who have seen unsustainable salary bubbles as the places that will see the correction. What I find unusual is that some of the people that are talking "Bubble, Bubble" are also talking about Brooklines, Newtons, and other expensive area. Why wouldn't someone move to Avon or Wilmington or Melrose? Run the numbers, it's not as bad.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks to me like most of those are all senior-level positions or management ... except for the one entry-level QA position.

Yes, certain exec level jobs are targeted for the 45+ crowd, however, typically, my age bracket 34-39, is where the middle managers are normally recruited from. QA type of work, except for perhaps the lead, is an under 35 track.

Quote:

The DBA is the only mid-level position. This shouldn't surprise anyone with the amount of entry-to-mid level support and engineering either being outsourced or nearsourced.

DBA work, believe it or not, is the best job in IT support these days because provided that the company (a/o industry) is stable, there's usually someone local to keep an eye on the data transacted, generated, warehoused, and backed up. It's still too cumbersome to keep data centers in remote locations in Nepal for the typical stateside corporation, given performance/latency and security issues, however, code maintenance can be done in Kathmandu w/o a problem.

Quote:

The industry kills off its incubation grounds and then wonders why they can't find anyone experienced. It boggles the mind.

In a way, they don't care. It's always the same mantra, "we can't hire locally so let's up the number of annual visas". That way, the newcomers can be abused and not be given a career track to move up in whereas the smart Americans or PR holders can apply for law or medical schools.
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.