bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Need help! Which bank offers the best saving account rates?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:53 pm GMT    Post subject: Need help! Which bank offers the best saving account rates? Reply with quote

Because of preparing tax documents, I just noticed my down payments in some banks only earns so little interests. Citizen Bank pays $5.5 interests a year on about $30k. Etrade used to pay more than 3%, but after the first year, the rate became about 0.3%. What a joke!

So which bank offers the best saving account rates? Or where do you guys leave your money?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this site:

http://www.bestcashcow.com/

- admin
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:02 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I touched on what I'm doing with my own savings when somebody asked in this thread:

http://www.bostonbubble.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2373

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:16 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link - hadn't seen that site before. Anyway, for savings I like Costco Capital One. Savings rate is 1.43% right now and it has been among the top for a while now. The 10% bonus pushes it over the edge of real competitors (not teasers that require constant rate chasing). Has very high transfer limits and super fast transfers. Can link to unlimited number of accounts. I've also used Dollar Savings Direct and Discover Bank but didn't like them in these respects.

Best rate will be with rewards checking. You might have to rate chase but so far the rates have changed very slowly (maybe move after 1 year). Even if you don't move, the rates are still pretty good. Dedham Savings is now at 3%, which is still double what any savings bank pays, despite not being the top account anymore. Danvers Bank is at 4% and has been there for almost a year now.
balor123

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:01 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admin - what do you think about opening an account in Australia? They don't seem to have an FDIC equivalent but then again not many countries do. I wonder if any good banks there will provide an account in American dollars.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
Admin - what do you think about opening an account in Australia? They don't seem to have an FDIC equivalent but then again not many countries do. I wonder if any good banks there will provide an account in American dollars.

It doesn't seem like a bad idea to me to diversify into other currencies as the US Dollar is otherwise a single point of failure. I have never gotten far enough to pick other currencies or an actual savings vehicle, though. Opening a savings account in Australia might be an option, but there are two things that I would look into further after deciding on a specific set of currencies. First, EverBank let's you hold your savings in other currencies and it is FDIC insured, according to their website. Second, I would also look into directly buying foreign government debt as that would address much of my hesitation about a lack of FDIC-style insurance.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the average emerging market debt was recently yielding about the same - 6.5% and I've read suggestions that this debt is actually safer now than established markets, thanks to low leverage. Just the historical behavior of it gives me shudders Smile You can get good currency hedging through ETFs like the PowerShares carry trade but I don't think it's place is in a long term investment portfolio, not short term like saving for a downpayment. But for such a portfolio you are likely getting that diversification through your stock and bond funds already.

Australia is a good currency to hold for a number of reasons though. It is strong in commodities and many Asians seem to be using it to hold their savings (though if too many start using it then carry trade effect becomes a problem). Israel is also good except for the possibility of a war erupting. Unfortunately, most of the currencies are just too volatile to hold.
CC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:51 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
Unfortunately, most of the currencies are just too volatile to hold.

That's what I thought too. Most countries' governments are also deeply in debt. That's why I don't think USD is unsafe as some people might think.

PS: Our federal debt is probably around or more than 100% GDP now. And it's growing very fast.
CC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:44 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
Danvers Bank is at 4% and has been there for almost a year now.

After opening a new account at Danvers Bank, I just found out they only pay that high rate (4%) for $25,000. If you have more than that, the rate is only 0.25% for the rest of your money.

Not good!!
balor123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:23 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct. You'll have a hard time finding any banks that pay on more than $25k now. You just need to open lots of accounts. I have 4 to hold my downpayments, though I could use another 1-2. It's not really that much time but it is a pain. The money is good enough to warrant the pain for me (an extra ~$2k/yr).
CC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:37 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine you have 4 accounts. The trouble is they ask you to perform at least 12 debit card transactions a month. 4 accounts will require 48 transaction a month!

BTW, I just opened the account. One thing I haven't tried is:

"receive their monthly statement electronically"

https://www.danversbank.com/Personal/Checking/Free-Rewards-Checking.aspx

I just set up the online banking, but not so sure how to do that (there is a statement link on their website). I can call Danvers Bank tomorrow. If you know how to do that, that will be great.

Thanks!
balor123

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:26 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a lot of transactions but it is possible to do naturally by going out of your way to generate small transactions. At the very minimum you can "manufacture" small charges. There are lists of charities, for example, where you can donate $1 a day for a specified number of days a month.

I believe you get the interest for free the first month no matter what. You will receive an email notifying you of the statement every month afterwards, which you'll need to download from the website.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
Yes it is a lot of transactions but it is possible to do naturally by going out of your way to generate small transactions. At the very minimum you can "manufacture" small charges. There are lists of charities, for example, where you can donate $1 a day for a specified number of days a month.

I was wondering about this myself the other day. PayPal takes credit cards, and I assume debit cards too. How about using PayPal to transfer money between your own accounts via the debit cards? That could potentially be automated as a recurring monthly charge so that you don't have to think about it. You would, of course, have to eat the PayPal transaction fees.

- admin
balor123

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:51 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out there are minimum charges of about $1 - $1.50. The Paypal fees would be cheaper than donations. I don't know about easier since you can't schedule charges to happen automatically, can you? I guess for $150/yr in fees it is worth the hassle. I worry a little bit about losing access to these accounts though so I try to do realistic transactions. Haven't heard of anyone having problems though. Maybe it's worth the risk.
balor123

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:52 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

For fillers, I pay bills in smaller increments than I would otherwise have been paying by the way. That way there is no fee since you were going to pay those bills anyway however entering all those transactions still takes time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.