bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Why the Boston area will not be a tech leader anymore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds crazy but once the general public starts to get a general understanding of the underlying fundamentals to some of the cutting edge technical’s they will gain more respect and give more value to you.

When I get bored I like to keep my mind busy and I'm totally now fascinated with the whole valance band theory, resonating bands, harmonics, wave pulse theory, nano technology, quantum physics, etc. There seems to be a common thread of natural laws that link a lot of the current cutting edge technology. When investors start to understand the potential impact and value add of a techie who can audit the value of a discovery or technology, the investors might not get burnt buying sizzle and not steak. Business people are used to having to throw cold water on the techies who want seem to want you to spend lots of money on new toys. The key is if you can get your finger on the pulse of what type of technology can go into play right now and why right now is a good time to invest. If you can get your mind around that, both sides, you'll make money for someone and eventually for yourself. If you're way out there, that's totally cool, but you'll need a day job and nobody owes you a living for understanding something that doesn't have a useful application. If you're stubborn do what Ben Franklin did and put together study groups to advance your knowledge and then invite people that were connected to those in the know to get you guys plugged into something...
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:52 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you're stubborn do what Ben Franklin did and put together study groups to advance your knowledge and then invite people that were connected to those in the know to get you guys plugged into something

John, Franklin got rich by franchising a printing business, not by being a patron of the arts and sciences.

He was well aware of the fact that one needed to be financially independent and free of earn a living to do something like that. If he were alive today, he'd be telling kids to start hedge funds and then donate the overrides to medical research than vice versa.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
once the general public starts to get a general understanding of the underlying fundamentals to some of the cutting edge technical

I think Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman, and Leonard Nimoy did stuff on this angle for a number of years but I don't think it had quite the impact that you'd expected outside of the Discovery channel's late night entertainment.
john p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Franklin got rich by being in the print business. Because he was, he was in the know. Political people came to him, scientists came to him, he was a hub of information and he got paid. Our society wants in the worst way for people to put themselves out there and be a hub so that we can get the neurons connected. Our society will reward those that do put themselves out there. Look at John Keith the realtor, he put himself out there with his website and he deserves to be successful because he hustles. He was a problem solver for his community and after he solved little problems he got asked to solve bigger problems and the more he got in the know, the more power he had and the more business he got for his printing. The whole science, and political stuff was part of his presence which drew more and more people to him and it distinguished himself among his competition. He put himself into play. He understood electricity and he knew how to amplify his presence, he could electrify and spark interest in whatever he wanted to pursue, put resistors in front of his adversaries and business competition etc. He put himself into play and eventually opportunities came to him. It's like the guy who looks for a house only online versus the guy who goes out and hits the pavement. I am really pissed about the big discrepancy between the actual median house price of the Warren Group and the MAR. The Warren Group has a lower number and they include deals that aren't made through realtors. Does that mean that at the lower end of the price spectrum fewer people are using realtors? My last point is like the advice that John Kerry should have listened to: If he couldn't stand up and beat up a Karl Rove or the Swift Boats how good could he be at catching B.L.? If a techie is that smart they should be able to outmaneuver the absolutely lazy and overpaid financial industry right here in our own backyard.
john p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what got me into some of this stuff was in part those Discovery Channel programs and the fact that there is absolutely nothing good on television half the time. Even my cat Vinnie will put his paws over his eyes and my bulldog Daisy Louise will pretend she's hanging herself when I would ask them if they wanted to see the "Flavor of Love" or "Operation Dumbo Drop". The whole personal computer thing made many technical people who often tended to be introverted to begin with even more disconnected. If you wonder why you're not being paid, you need to work together. Boston needs you to. The dumb ones don't appreciate you, but the smart ones do. The Masons, which Ben Franklin was a part of, were a group that originally were formed to help each other out, to advance their trade and to promote a better common welfare. IT guys need to plug in to each other like this. Masons were under economic siege kind of like you folks are here with the whole outsourcing. Once the Masons plugged in to each other they got a bit more powerful than just the masonry industry....
john p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

And look, I only have a few heroes in my life, so don't be mean and rag on Ben Franklin on me. I also admire the father in the movie Billy Elliot and Rudolph the Red nose reindeer's girlfriend Clarice.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the idea of forming a true professional association, like the American Medical Association, would have saved engineering, however, S&Es are too free market, pro-Yankee ingenuity, corporate brainwashed to go for such a thing. And once the MBAs have eliminated the so-called (would be technocratic) union, then the only place to go is the land of the artisan, low pay and no job security.

Your other point, the techno power media leader, applies to spin doctors like Steve Jobs and others who're actually the owners of those companies, not their workers.

Remember the whole Edison vs Tesla story. Tesla was the greatest inventor in modern history, bar none, but he died a poor (or at least lower middle class) man but Westinghouse (the owner of Tesla's AC patents) and Edison, died billionaires because they owned those technologies and their reoccurring revenue streams.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:37 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so don't be mean and rag on Ben Franklin on me

Oh no, he's one of my heroes as well. I loved "Fart Proudly" and his witty prose on dating older women. He's a one of a kind and was also a pragmatist. He believed that in retirement, one should study the arts and sciences, which is the best course of action for anyone.
john p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read "Fart Proudly" but I'm looking forward to it. You know anyone can fart proudly in a bathroom, show me a guy that's willing to do it 20 miles from his nearest pair of underwear and I'll show you a man worthy of... hell, I don't know...

Anyway, now about Neil Diamond, friggin unbelievable. And what about that Paul Anka, I guess he's got a mad-dog yacht; what's up with that?

Seriously, the Freemasons need younger members and it is a very respectable and powerful network to belong to. I am way too unbridled, odd, and need a bit longer in the oven to cook before I'm ready to think about joining.

There are lots of new listings on the MLS; I wonder if they are the second wave of sellers who have just gone under agreement on their new homes perhaps…
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:29 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seriously, the Freemasons need younger members and it is a very respectable and powerful network to belong to.

From what I've gathered, it's more a businessmen's club than a trade association. So you're correct, the ancients were high level craftsmen but since the Gilded Age, and at least in America, it's been more a place for those looking to advance in the world of business and finance (i.e. another MBA type of saloon but with handshakes and rituals).
john p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:58 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it seems that many seem to see it as a businessmen's club now; it seems like they have become the aristocracy that they claim to avoid being like. They weren't before. I've met a few that seem to be in it for very cool reasons (which is why I'm intrigued by them) but I've seen others that seem a bit greedy and self centered and every nice thing they do is a token gesture that they use to market, so being committed to a group of people that aren't entirely cool seems a bit too entangling for me right now. I think though that if enough cool people entered their ranks, they could partner with the cool older ones that seem to stick with it after they retire. It just seems like a good match for folks that know what it's like to not to get a "square deal"; I think that once you've experienced injustice and unfairness you'll be stronger and more inclined to be receptive to lending a hand when you've got some power. This housing bubble is an important front in the battle of "fighting the good fight". The FED is monkeying with people's lives, and in today's economy you have winners and losers. There is no commonwealth. I wonder where some of these powerful organizations are sometimes, where are they when the "good fight" is going on? Many times the "good fight" takes place when very few people are looking. I think if some new members came in and called the "businessmen's club" types out on the hypocrisy of wearing a workman’s apron while some might be exploiting the working class this powerful organization might show up when good men of honor are needed. Eventually, I think the businessmen's club types will disassociate themselves from the Masons and after they make their money they might be more connected to their golf clubs. I just see the Masons as a wide open potential force that could do some good if you got a surge of people entering that had experienced unfairness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just see the Masons as a wide open potential force that could do some good if you got a surge of people entering that had experienced unfairness.

John, I think this clique is dying out.

www.askafreemason.org

Back in the 1950s, this was a prestigious place by special invitation only; at least that's what my elders told me. Now, I'm hearing ads on the radio to look at the above web site for a so-called special invite. I don't know but unless there's a lot of unemployed engineers looking for a men's club (sans the strippers, since that would be the *Montreal* division), I don't see what the Masons can do.
Boston ITer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me above, I forgot to sign off.

Also, if Masonry has a re-surgence with the youth, there's a good chance that it'll be a more religious or cultish sect these days then in the past. Before, there was an idea that a proper gentlemen could be secular and spiritual but today, there's almost a culture of being a part of a cult as a societal archetype. Just look at former child actor, Kirk Cameron, his mindset is touted as being "evolved". Sorry, but I don't buy it, a man can have his religious beliefs and be a part of a fellowship which doesn't adhere to those doctrines or otherwise, it's another religion. I know plenty of people who've gone through Kirk's personal crisis w/o going born again and then telling others that their original faiths were wrong.
john p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:19 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what your saying. I guess I see engineers as those folks that put their heads down to work, play by the rules but are affected by public policy and economics. They often times don't have a seat at the table and because they are often times on the bleeding and cutting edge, they are in one realm our leaders. The impetus behind many political movements comes from someone trying to take something from a group. I believe our Boston engineers are some of the best in the world, so they have an incredible capacity to help our future here. It annoys me that this incredible potential may see it fit to leave here which would marginalize our future. I see that their weakness is the connectivity to policy decisions and economic leadership. I think that the Masons are an example of an open conduit that is available. The plumbing that is already set up in this network is pretty strong If they had more of this in the pipeline it would be more effective.

http://www.peterswank.com/menschkeit.htm

This is the electricity that Ben Franklin understood.
john p

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." Albert Einstein

Followers act out of fear, believers are a different lot. Is scientific expansion a zero sum game with believing in God?

If Boston can resolve how to have God and Science respectfully coexist, we will continue to be a sanctuary for both. If we can have respectful debate we will honorably serve the rest of the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.