bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Is the Boston area becoming a 'white collar rust belt'?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:21 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
It's nearly official, Fidelity is moving 2000 jobs to the Carolinas and/or Texas.

Besides Texas and the Carolinas, a friend of mine who works at the Marlboro site was offered a job in southern NH or 6 months severance (after only 9 months of employment). She chose the severance pay.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:39 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
was offered a job in southern NH

Well that's a reasonable commute, and probably next to Rte 3. I'd take that over a severance package, since it doesn't involve moving to NC, TX, or some no man's land out in Arkansas. A friend from an old Lucent spinoff just got an offer out in Little Rock and he might just take it to retain a set of marketable skills while looking for work, in more civilized regions, down the road (a couple of years). Nowadays, I suspect that any decent paying backoffice job in the northeast/Boston area might be one's last.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:42 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A friend from an old Lucent spinoff just got an offer out in Little Rock and he might just take it to retain a set of marketable skills while looking for work

That's probably a GSM service provider under Alltel, based in Little Rock. If so, then it's a good place to build one's experience base for a better career in a more happening location in the future. Unfortunately, as being mobile becomes the only way for one to maintain one's marketabilility, these so-called localized housing bubbles (Bos-to-DC, Fl, SD-to-SF) become national in no time. I don't suspect that Little Rock will have a housing bubble anytime in the near or distant future so it's a safe place to live for some time.
Barney

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Little Rock's a tad off the hook for in-shoring.

I'd hope that some place near El Paso TX or the Smoky Mts to Savannah in the Carolinas would be as remote as a technology company needs to be.

As for jobs, the Boston media tends to shy away from reporting the truth but if you'd checked Monster.com for the past four years, very few tech jobs were advertised in the state, relative to the other major cities, including Philly to Chicago. Now, there appears to be a slight reversal, however, once a string of companies leave a region, any reversal would be some place hiring new graduates to fill entry level posts. And as someone said, you can't rely upon biotech to generate a bulk of jobs these days.
john p

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:31 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/25000.html

This website is really good:

http://www.acinet.org/acinet/state1.asp?stfips=25

http://www.jobbankusa.com/jobs/massachusetts_ma/job_employment_largest_employers.html

All my current thoughts are rubbish, pure tangled garbage so I won't share them..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.