bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Quincy Colonial Project
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian C

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:10 pm GMT    Post subject: Quincy Colonial Project Reply with quote

If you have been following the other forums, I went against the grain and purchased a property in this down market. Financially, im spending only $200 more than my rent but this will give me time to bond with family members and learn something on the way.

Stats:
Size: 1422 sq/ft
Built: 1932
Bedrooms: 3
Bathroom: 1 Full (on second floor)

Purchase price: low $300k

Pictures

Projects:
Renovate complete kitchen area. Tear down the wall behind fridge to expand kitchen into dining room.
Add a wall across the breakfast nook (not shown) to add a half bathroom for the 1st floor.
Remove wood paneling (note: not glued, just nailed in!) and new paint throughout
Get rid of the carpet and refinish hardwood floors
New roof for the garage, install modern garage door
Lots of landscaping
Remove square window in the dining room and add french doors. Build new deck into the backyard.
Upgrade bathroom sink and floor
Upgrade electrical to 200A service
Brian C

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:26 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 1 and 2 - Removal of wood paneling and wallpaper

Two LAYERS

melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:23 am GMT    Post subject: home improvement project Reply with quote

Thank for posting these! How is it going? I look forward to seeing the "after" shots!
Brian C

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:36 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3 - Had family and friends show up for the day

Gutted the kitchen in 3 hours

That wall will be finished to add the half bath. The new wall will create a L shaped kitchen

Under three layers of flooring, we struck gold in the kitchen. This will save us lots of time not tiling the floors.

Fresh unfinished hardwood in the dining room

More fresh wood on the stairs

This week we are prepping the walls, filling holes before we sand and prime this weekend. The kitchen is going to be gutted to the studs because of the extensive electrical work and removal of the soffit.
Brian C

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:17 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 7 - Removed all the old horsehair plaster walls, this will give me a chance to add new outlets for the new kitchen design.

Next job, open up the wall between the kitchen and dining room.
balor123

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you're doing this all yourself? You should wear goggles no?
Brian C

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:36 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

balor123 wrote:
Wow, you're doing this all yourself? You should wear goggles no?

Between myself and my father, we are going this ourselves. He's done pretty of construction work before so its a good learning experience.

I was wearing goggles when taking down the plaster walls.

Here is what our kitchen is going to look like:

These cabinet makers must be hurting! I scored all those Cherry cabinets for $5k. Picked my granite slab today for $2000 installed also. Between cabinets, countertops, appliances, and other services work, the kitchen will cost $11k. It helps that im doing most of the work myself.
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:08 pm GMT    Post subject: kitchen reno Reply with quote

Brian C.:

Those are great prices for cabinets and granite, but you really hit the nail on the head (no pun intended) when you said:

Quote:
It helps that im doing most of the work myself.

I got a kitchen estimate done in January at a house we were looking to buy, and HALF the cost of the project was for cabinet/counter installation and very minor electrical and plumbing work (i.e. hooking up new appliances and the sink). so we only had 15K for cabinets, counters and appliances, but another 15 K for labor. I swear, the contractors just expect people to pay at least 30K for a kitchen reno.

Also, you should get a better face mask when renovating an old house. Lead poisoning is no joke, ESPECIALLY for women.

By doing the renos yourself, you are going to especially appreciate your new house. I still love to drive by our old house that we did so much to ourselves Smile. Hope you at least get to enjoy some of the good weather this weekend!
melonrightcoast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:11 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ESPECIALLY for women

OK, I need to clarify this as I don't think you are a woman Embarassed !

What I meant is that I hope your wife isn't doing any of the work or living in the house while the renos are going on ... because of the lead paint issues.
Brian C

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:35 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

melonrightcoast wrote:
Quote:
ESPECIALLY for women

OK, I need to clarify this as I don't think you are a woman Embarassed !

What I meant is that I hope your wife isn't doing any of the work or living in the house while the renos are going on ... because of the lead paint issues.

She's in the house but in another area of the house. She doesn't like the noises the big boys make. Her expertise is in painting so she's skimcoating and prepping the walls.

The big unexpected expense is refinishing the hardwood floors. My first quote was $3 per sq/ft. We have over 1200 sq/ft so it adds up.

Going to run the new electrical this week before the electrician upgrades our box from 100A to 200A.
john p

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should consider putting up plastic on the warm side of the insulated studs prior to putting the new sheet rock. The exterior of the place is very clean. Make sure that the electrician has made safe all the walls that you're breaking into. I bet you were psyched to see all that hardwood under the carpet. I'd look for a nice runner, see if you can get one that they can miter (I wasn't sure if the stairs turn...). Also, I've heard of people slapping up 3/8" sheet rock over the horsehair plaster to avoid stripping and plastering. It's odd because it looks like it has new siding, but typically they do window replacement when they do the siding. I'd recommend putting in replacements if you can afford it, especially when the place is broken open and the cost of oil is going up. I think you might even get a tax break for improving the energy efficiency of the exterior envelope.

Nice work. I love the addidas shell-toes (great work shoe). A work site ususally has a few empty Dunkin Donuts cups, helps complete the picture...
Brian C

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:08 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

john p wrote:
You should consider putting up plastic on the warm side of the insulated studs prior to putting the new sheet rock. The exterior of the place is very clean. Make sure that the electrician has made safe all the walls that you're breaking into. I bet you were psyched to see all that hardwood under the carpet. I'd look for a nice runner, see if you can get one that they can miter (I wasn't sure if the stairs turn...). Also, I've heard of people slapping up 3/8" sheet rock over the horsehair plaster to avoid stripping and plastering. It's odd because it looks like it has new siding, but typically they do window replacement when they do the siding. I'd recommend putting in replacements if you can afford it, especially when the place is broken open and the cost of oil is going up. I think you might even get a tax break for improving the energy efficiency of the exterior envelope.

Nice work. I love the addidas shell-toes (great work shoe). A work site ususally has a few empty Dunkin Donuts cups, helps complete the picture...

The main reason we stripped the walls to the studs was to fully insulate and re-wire to our liking. The exterior is vinyl sliding with wrap so thats at least a start. Also all the windows in the front of the house have been replaced. Have a guy coming to the house to give an estimate for the remaining 12 windows that are original.
The hardwood in the kitchen has lots of tar from the original linoleum on the wood which is going to be a bitch to remove. Need some ideas on how to get this stuff off.
Brian C

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:14 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

More updates:

Framed up the new wall for the kitchen/bathroom. This was constructed using the existing all, we find out why this doesn't work.

Finally opened up the wall between the kitchen and dining room.

Here is where the sliding glass door is going to be.

Had the ladies work on cleaning up the bushes Laughing
This made alot of the neighbors come out to thank us for taking these down.

Well the new wall we constructed is not going to cut it for plumbing the new walls. The walls were 2x2 but new plumbing requires at least 1 2/5" so we had to rip down the old wall and build a 2x4 wall.

Finished after 3 hours with a new header in the new opening.

While we were picking up the new 2x4 wood, we tore up the front entry to see what wood we needed. Ahh crap, all of this had to replaced.

Had the ladies working upstairs on getting the bedrooms painted.

Quotes for electrical, plumbing were all over the place. Plumbers went from $2500 to $9000. All the electricians were on with the 200A service. Its at least $2500 to upgrade the line from 100A to 200A. Almost all suggested with the size of the house, it will be fine with 100A.
Brian C

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plumber came in and did most of his work in 3 days. The electrician is top notch! He's been very much involved and detailed in his work. Getting the box switched over to a 30 breaker and removal of the old wiring took almost a week. But he's done must of the new work in the kitchen, bathroom and dining room.

The wall guys were unbelievable! They skimcoated all the textured walls and make them nice and smooth. This gave us a fresh start with no cracks or imperfections.

Painted all of the bedrooms.

Removed the old rugs to show off that beautiful fresh hardwood.

More to come......
john p

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is almost criminal what people did to these beautiful homes in the 70's. Look at that gorgeous hard wood! How does anyone cover that up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.