bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

A home is not a good investment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarum80

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:28 pm GMT    Post subject: A home is not a good investment Reply with quote

This was a very interesting read in the online WSJ today (3-12-07)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117329581356629863.html?mod=hps_us_inside_today
Paulie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:58 am GMT    Post subject: Re: A home is not a good investment Reply with quote

Sarum80 wrote:
This was a very interesting read in the online WSJ today (3-12-07)

s_us_inside_today

That's a pay site. No one is going to subscribe just to read one article.

Summarize if you have a point you want to make.
Sarum80

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:43 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh... No trial option??

I'll work on a summary tonight.
Sarum80

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:10 pm GMT    Post subject: I found a free link Reply with quote

Sorry no synopsis but here is a FREE link to the article.

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/102603/why-your-home-is-not-the-investment-you-think-it-is

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:58 am GMT    Post subject: Wall Street journal Reply with quote

Here is an excerpt from the article:

"And for the ants, economic studies have demonstrated over and over that houses (1) cost more than most people make when they sell and (2) rarely match the long-term returns of stocks or other investments."

Now maybe I am being a bit cynical, but would it be possible for the "Wall Street Journal" to come to a conclusion that real estate is a better bet than stocks? I am *shocked* that the WSJ would print such an article, just when people are beginning to wonder if the "long-term returns" of the stock market are going to be in the mid-single-digits going forward. My my...

Where does one go for unbiased advice nowadays? On one hand you have the David Lereahs, on the other hand you have Wall Street shills, it seems like one needs to adopt a very cynical outlook in order to make sense of any of it.
Harry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:27 am GMT    Post subject: Re: Wall Street journal Reply with quote

guest wrote:

"And for the ants, economic studies have demonstrated over and over that houses (1) cost more than most people make when they sell and (2) rarely match the long-term returns of stocks or other investments."

Now maybe I am being a bit cynical, but would it be possible for the "Wall Street Journal" to come to a conclusion that real estate is a better bet than stocks? I am *shocked* that the WSJ would print such an article, just when people are beginning to wonder if the "long-term returns" of the stock market are going to be in the mid-single-digits going forward. My my...

Where does one go for unbiased advice nowadays? On one hand you have the David Lereahs, on the other hand you have Wall Street shills, it seems like one needs to adopt a very cynical outlook in order to make sense of any of it.

If you combine what the real estate touts say about stocks with what the stock touts say about real estate you'll get a pretty realistic picture.
JCK

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 pm GMT    Post subject: Re: Wall Street journal Reply with quote

guest wrote:

A house doesn't have to be a good investment; it just has to beat renting. Using the stock market as a baseline is crazy.

If you lose money on your house, factoring in all of the costs, it doesn't mean your decision to buy was a bad one. All you have to show is that renting over that same time period would have cost you more.
samchady

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:13 pm GMT    Post subject: article Reply with quote

The thing I took away from the article is that you should not buy a bigger house to get a bigger investment, you should buy what you need. You are right, the math just has to beat renting to work out. People though think that real estate is a good investment, and historically it has returned less than the stock market.

Of course, if you are risk averse like me, then renting wins because the risk of ruin is removed. I am still looking to buy, but just need the price to work out and be in the right area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.