bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Buy or rent? How far away are prices/value?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some places in East Arlington might work for you too if they are within walking distance to the Alewife T (about 20 min ride into downtown Boston). You'd get more space out there and a better family atmosphere, good schools, and lots of eateries/small shops to walk to. BTW, you can also check out the forums on www.city-data.com You might get more responses there since it's an active forum for helping people relocate.
bikes2work

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving to boston wrote:
Brookline/Coolidge look very nice. Also cambridgeport is on my radar - It seems like it's a good little walkable neighborhood for familes? Is that right?

Where do you get the most for your money in terms of space and safety while still on the MBTA line? (preferably red or green)

Hi Moving,

I would encourage you to go car-free if that's what you're after. I moved here 7 years ago (I'm from California myself) and not being tied to a car endeared me to Boston immediately. In the intervening years I have gotten married and we have a had a baby, who is now 8 months old.

We have been living in Beacon Hill, which does make being car-free easier, as it is so central. We have also taken advantage of Zipcar, which is extremely handy (look up zipcar.com if you don't know about it).

But I have to admit that having a kid does add to the challenge. So, in fact, we are looking in neighboring areas, including Brookline, Cambridgeport, and the Alewife area including Arlington. Our intention is to find a place where we don't need a car for most trips, and the above all qualify. However, realistically we will probably get a car for weekend trips.

In terms of rent vs. buy calculations in those areas, my personal observations have been that buying is still 20% more than renting (just comparing the cost of a 30-year fixed mortgage to renting, assuming a 20% downpayment, and ignoring the interest deduction...very rough estimate). Sellers are definitely lowering their prices in those areas, and if you can wait, I would suggest fall 2009 as a good entry point. That's my intention anyway.
bike2work

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:41 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and also, regarding safety, I consider all of those areas very safe. Central square on the redline used to be considered unsafe, but these days the worst you will see are a few drunk and probably homeless people, but never a situation that made me uncomfortable (personally, anyway). I mean, you're not talking about the suburbs, but it sounds like you don't want that anyway.
moving to boston

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:55 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bikes2work:

Thanks! I do plan to go car free and that is one of the biggest factors in researching areas to live in. It's great to hear from someone from CA who's done the same thing. I'm really tired of the suburban sprawl and idiotic drivers here. It sucks to try and walk almost anywhere in CA and a lot of drivers are pretty arrogant and careless, they couldn't care less about the safety of pedestrians (even when they have right of way in crosswalks) just as long as they don't have to stop for 2 seconds. I hope to find an area in boston/cambridge/newton where I can walk/bike with my 1 yr old son without having to worry about getting ran over.

The other thing is, for me it just feels liberating to not have to depend on driving, traffic, etc. It feels great to just be able to walk out the door to go somewhere without dealing with a commute. You also get to take in what's going on in the neighborhood instead of staring at your instrument panel, bumpers, and traffic lights. For me, the desire to go careless if more of a lifestyle decision then an attempt to save money, but that's nice as well. I still might get a cheap car to use on occasional trips but I don't have any intention of depending on it for daily life.
JCK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

moving to boston wrote:
Hi bikes2work:

Thanks! I do plan to go car free and that is one of the biggest factors in researching areas to live in. It's great to hear from someone from CA who's done the same thing. I'm really tired of the suburban sprawl and idiotic drivers here. It sucks to try and walk almost anywhere in CA and a lot of drivers are pretty arrogant and careless, they couldn't care less about the safety of pedestrians (even when they have right of way in crosswalks) just as long as they don't have to stop for 2 seconds. I hope to find an area in boston/cambridge/newton where I can walk/bike with my 1 yr old son without having to worry about getting ran over.

You have very idealized notion of Boston drivers, apparently. While much of the city of Boston is walkable, I don't think you can safely assume that drivers here are somehow more accommodating to pedestrians. Don't expect drivers here to yield. The best approach I find is to keep an eye on the drivers, but don't make eye contact. Once they know that you've seen them, they feel free to cut you off.

Quote:
The other thing is, for me it just feels liberating to not have to depend on driving, traffic, etc. It feels great to just be able to walk out the door to go somewhere without dealing with a commute. You also get to take in what's going on in the neighborhood instead of staring at your instrument panel, bumpers, and traffic lights. For me, the desire to go careless if more of a lifestyle decision then an attempt to save money, but that's nice as well. I still might get a cheap car to use on occasional trips but I don't have any intention of depending on it for daily life.

I agree 100% with the freedom of not being tied to car. At the same time, I would suggest getting the cheap car. It is very nice to be free from having to drive, but having to rely on the MBTA is no picnic either.

A few times waiting twenty minutes before you realize the bus just isn't going to show up will make want the car. Zipcar (car sharing service) may be an option, but having a older beater car just to do some shopping and errands is really helpful, even if not absolutely necessary.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:17 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:

You have very idealized notion of Boston drivers, apparently. While much of the city of Boston is walkable, I don't think you can safely assume that drivers here are somehow more accommodating to pedestrians. Don't expect drivers here to yield.

My impression has been that while Boston drivers aren't exactly nicer than in other cities, they are more aware of pedestrians, largely out of necessity. A lot of pedestrians here are aggressive and even careless in when and where they cross, and drivers are aware of this, expect it, and usually compensate for it. Typical Boston pedestrian behavior would probably have dangerous consequences in many other cities, not because drivers are less accommodating, but because they wouldn't expect it.

- admin
moving to boston

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCK wrote:

You have very idealized notion of Boston drivers, apparently. While much of the city of Boston is walkable, I don't think you can safely assume that drivers here are somehow more accommodating to pedestrians. Don't expect drivers here to yield. The best approach I find is to keep an eye on the drivers, but don't make eye contact. Once they know that you've seen them, they feel free to cut you off.

No, don't get me wrong - I don't expect Boston drivers to be any nicer than CA's in general, but there is one huge difference - The infrastructure in most parts of CA is not conducive to pedestrians. To give you an example, most of the local streets here are 5 lane (2 in each direction and one center), and some go up to 10 like freeways. Crosswalk lights stay lit up to "walk" for about 5 seconds. Traffic lights take anywhere from 3-8 minutes to cycle depending on the street. Some streets have bike lanes but not very many, and it's not very safe to use them anyway as they are so narrow and the boundaries aren't respected. Ok now that I've described the roads, let me get to the heart of the matter: Everything here is spread out to such distances that you really need to drive unless the only thing you want to go to is 7-11. What we have here, is a strip mall on one street with the grocery store, drug store, etc; yet another strip mall on another street has the best buy, pet store; another strip mall has the toy store; another one has the bank, etc. You get the picture. They are all in different places, and all surrounded by high traffic streets/traffic lights, not to mention they are all miles away from each other. Busses here don't run frequent enough and have very limited routes requiring several changes (and they don't even allow transfer fares). Ditto with the train. So, given the way things are structured here in regards to roads, business locations, public transport - it isn't a big surprise that not many people here use public transport. In fact, it's frowned upon by many people, and you don't even see most people walk outside very much. So drivers really don't have any empathy for pedestrians and see them as a nuisance. I realize this attitude exists everywhere but it's more pronounced here. Btw, "road rage" is also common here.

A couple funny anecdotal observations about californians :

They judge each other based on the car they are driving. If someone drives a more expensive car then you, you deserved to be cut off. If you're walking or taking public transport you might be suspected of being poor (because why would anyone want to walk, how vulgar..gasp). Kind of funny since I paid cash for my last new car recently, which is a pretty nice mid range car. There is a difference in the way you are treated when you drive a new car vs an old one by other drivers. A friend of mine came to the same conclusion, as he's got a very nice car, but drives a junker to work every day. I suspect this happens everywhere, but CA very much has a "car culture", it's part of personal identity here.

Californians love to rave about having "perfect weather", yet all summer long people drive around with their windows rolled up and their AC on, and then go to an indoor destination with more AC on. If it rains here, there are news bulletins with "storm tracker" alerts on - even for a light shower of a couple hours. And people complain about the rain from inside their office buildings even though they are stuck inside working all day anyway Smile

JCK wrote:

I agree 100% with the freedom of not being tied to car. At the same time, I would suggest getting the cheap car. It is very nice to be free from having to drive, but having to rely on the MBTA is no picnic either.

A few times waiting twenty minutes before you realize the bus just isn't going to show up will make want the car. Zipcar (car sharing service) may be an option, but having a older beater car just to do some shopping and errands is really helpful, even if not absolutely necessary.

I agree with you here, I know I would miss not having a car entirely, especially to take weekend trips, do errands, or just have some personal space to myself.
moving to boston

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:06 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
JCK wrote:

You have very idealized notion of Boston drivers, apparently. While much of the city of Boston is walkable, I don't think you can safely assume that drivers here are somehow more accommodating to pedestrians. Don't expect drivers here to yield.

My impression has been that while Boston drivers aren't exactly nicer than in other cities, they are more aware of pedestrians, largely out of necessity. A lot of pedestrians here are aggressive and even careless in when and where they cross, and drivers are aware of this, expect it, and usually compensate for it. Typical Boston pedestrian behavior would probably have dangerous consequences in many other cities, not because drivers are less accommodating, but because they wouldn't expect it.

- admin

From my limited experience I would agree. I've been to Boston a few times, as well as many other metro areas of the US and many other countries. While I have experienced worse, it is my opinion that CA ranks amongst the worst places to get around on foot. There are things I like about CA of course but this is one of it's downsides. I'm ready to try something else.
john p

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:20 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are funny.

Solid advice about making eye contact with people in cars before you head out onto the street. You can even look beyond the car and when the driver sees you he/she will see that your intent is to cross after they pass...

Part of the superficiality of what I hear about California might be a property of the culture that would contribute to their bubble mentality. I was in NYC in this really "hot" club district last night. I was chewing the fat with this doorman for a while waiting to see if I'd see Howard Stern, Gary, Benji etc. heading into Scores... Anyway, the culture seems to be like make a big splash fast, take a shot, gamble, your time is now kind of thing. Kids pay like $500 for a bottle of whatever at those places... What is funny was that there was a fantastic Indian restaurant right around the corner where you could eat all you wants for $7. I'm not cool, I know that, but I don't want to be paying $500 a bottle, forget that. I could get three years supply of Skynard, bones for my bulldog and Single Barrel Jack Daniels.

Point is, people that are grounded are less susceptible to bubbles. In their defense, the money flowing to those places are crazy so if they live in bubbles, they might get mentally caught up in them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.