bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

Price keep rising in Boston

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
optimus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:00 pm GMT    Post subject: Price keep rising in Boston Reply with quote

I thought that prices would start cooling down when I saw that interest rates were rising. After looking at a few recent sales, I am not seeing a hint of any down coming. Looks like I will be priced out forever.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:01 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent sales reflect purchase and pricing decisions made before the surge in mortgage rates. I wouldn't expect to see any affect on closing prices until later - around the end of the year at the earliest for the Case-Shiller numbers. It could very easily take longer too, if the excess demand takes time to burn off. (And it might never materialize if mortgage rates retrench.)

Rather than looking at just prices, I would suggest looking at inventory. It would be natural to see inventory rise as a prelude to prices declining. Inventory has indeed been rising, bucking the typical seasonal trend. Inventory is still climbing and is actually quite close to setting a new high for the year, which is rather unusual:

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/asking-prices/massachusetts/boston/

- admin
optimus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:24 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean about the inventory - it went up a bit but its still less then half from the peak in June 2007. And the population is higher now.

The question now is why aren't people selling????
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:38 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I wish I knew. One problem is that current owners who have locked in a super low mortgage rate by refinancing now have strong disincentive to sell as they would lose that rate. I think there are also still plenty of people effectively underwater who can't sell. Foreclosures have also been essentially halted due to new regulations, so that's another previous source of supply that's gone. On the other hand, these factors should also reduce demand from repeat buyers, so we probably need less inventory than before to achieve equilibrium.

- admin
optimus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:25 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Good question. I wish I knew. One problem is that current owners who have locked in a super low mortgage rate by refinancing now have strong disincentive to sell as they would lose that rate. I think there are also still plenty of people effectively underwater who can't sell. Foreclosures have also been essentially halted due to new regulations, so that's another previous source of supply that's gone. On the other hand, these factors should also reduce demand from repeat buyers, so we probably need less inventory than before to achieve equilibrium.

- admin

> One problem is that current owners who have locked in a super low >mortgage rate by refinancing now have strong disincentive to sell as they > would lose that rate.

I can see how people who refinanced to low rates would be dis-incentivised to sell but if you need to move you have no choice. I think people aren't selling for other reasons.

> I think there are also still plenty of people effectively underwater who can't > sell.

I was under the impression that Boston made it through the housing crisis pretty well. What is the percentage mortgages that are underwater?

> Foreclosures have also been essentially halted due to new regulations, so > that's another previous source of supply that's gone.

The government has done what they can to stabilize the housing market. I think it is time they get out of the way and let the market work.

> On the other hand, these factors should also reduce demand from repeat > buyers, so we probably need less inventory than before to achieve > equilibrium.

Good point.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:48 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I can see how people who refinanced to low rates would be dis-incentivised to sell but if you need to move you have no choice. I think people aren't selling for other reasons.

By definition we're talking about those who aren't selling and who do have a choice. They are being dis-incentivized by something. I don't think you can rule out refinancing as a reason when the same logic of some people having no choice would apply just as much to any other explanation.

Quote:

I was under the impression that Boston made it through the housing crisis pretty well. What is the percentage mortgages that are underwater?

The latest number I found in a quick Google search was around 20% in 2011, for Massachusetts as a whole:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/06/07/report-1-in-5-massachusetts-homeowners-underwater-with-their-mortgages/

That number has probably gone down if you treat the mammoth price spike of 2013 as permanent. So some of those people could hypothetically sell now, but that is a recent enough occurrence that it may take time for those homes to be prepared for market. I have friends who intend to sell but have a year or two time horizon for making repairs and updates in preparation. If the price spike this year surprised those who were previously underwater, they might just not be ready yet.

Quote:

The government has done what they can to stabilize the housing market. I think it is time they get out of the way and let the market work.

That will be the day. I'm with you on this, I just don't see it happening anytime soon given the current magnitude of corporate welfare flowing to the FIRE industries.

- admin
Arlingtonian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:23 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't see the government getting out of the way because people can seem to connect the harm that gets done. For example, people in Greater Boston who are "Homeowners with a Mortgage" are thrilled that the value of their home is up double digits this year. People are thrilled when the see a new retail development in town - even if the development will be partially paid for with Tax Credits to a big Bank.

In general the voter believe that a free lunch is possible - and haven't connected the destructive inflation that government intervention creates.

I bought a quart of paint, the last time I bought this same quart 3 years ago it was thirty percent cheaper. Many household items are rising in cost quickly and it is choking the budget of Americans.

But, people feel great because at the moment their 401K statement looks great and the value of their home is rising. Can you imagine if people were this happy about the cost of milk or gasoline going up.

House inflation is bad for the future of our country and makes our chilldren's future much more uncertain. Most families could once afford to have one parent at home for a childs formative years and now that is impossible. We trade a stay at home parent for higher prices homes and now we staff schools with more psychologists to help confused children.

Money and inflation affect so many aspects of our lives and ultimately limit the options people have to live their lives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.