bostonbubble.com Forum Index bostonbubble.com
Boston Bubble - Boston Real Estate Analysis

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPONSORED LINKS

Advertise on Boston Bubble
Buyer brokers and motivated
sellers, reach potential buyers.
www.bostonbubble.com

YOUR AD HERE

Go to: Boston real estate bubble fact list with references
More Boston Bubble News...
DISCLAIMER: The information provided on this website and in the associated forums comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, expressed or implied. You assume all risk for your own use of the information provided as the accuracy of the information is in no way guaranteed. As always, cross check information that you would deem useful against multiple, reliable, independent resources. The opinions expressed belong to the individual authors and not necessarily to other parties.

MA native and I will not be buying in metro Boston
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbw

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:07 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about government pension plans is way off topic, but the housing issue and pension plan cost issue both have the same origin. People are living longer. This is causing the population of the united states to grow despite low birth and immigration rates. Pension plans are solvent when the median lifetime was 67yrs. Similarly, thirty years ago the baby boomers would be looking to starting to liquidate assets such as their homes.

Instead, they are not leaving the housing market and infact many are entering semi-retirement where they live in their retirement homes on the weekends and trek back to their Boston suburb homes on Sunday night.

This thirst for housing is what is called the cohort vs traditional demographic approach to housing. One site on this is
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~dowell/pubs/demohaus/demohaus.htm

Traditionalists predicted that peoples behaviors is a function of age, so they estimate how many people would be of a certain age, and then calculate their behavior. Based on this model, baby boomers would feeble and looking to unload their homes and housing prices would have declined 47% between 1989 and 2009.

The cohort people think that age groups act as a group that shows similar behavior as the age, so the house hungry behavior of the baby boomers would continue, which would increase demand.

It may look like the cohort group was correct, but I suspect that if account for the fact that people are living longer, your will find that when boomer are 70 they will be acting like their parents did when they were 60 and they will be dumping a lot of homes onto the market.

My contention is that in real times for the Ma and national markets as a whole, homes are worth more now than they ever will be again.
jbw

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:08 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant real terms

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:59 pm GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It sounds like the IT guys are in a more turbulent situation than say the hedge fund managers.

Your correct on the overall IT market for Mass, however, realize that a majority of our financial services are mutual fund and pension/401K related: Fidelity, State St, Putnam, MFS, etc. The hedge fund/private equity employers are in the tri-state region so our local financial sectors weren't doing all that great while the seniors at Goldman, Kravis, and the southern CT HFs were breaking out their multi-million bonuses last year. Since the departure of First Boston, during the 90s recession, if you remember them, we haven't been known to be a trading/investment epicenter (since we mainly did simple portfolios than derivatives, long/short CDOs, and futures trading) and were only lucky because of the Leprachaun effect that was the Peter Lynch/Fidelity age of the 80s-to-90s (plus the IT bubble). That fantasy had died with the '01-'02 recession when Lynch, himself, looked like a fool telling everyone to 'buy and hold' on late night TV after he hadn't handled a portfolio for almost a decade.
john p

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:41 am GMT    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two guys, I'm honestly humbled by your insight. I am very happy to have gotten your feedback.

You know talking inside and outside of a topic in and out gives you this feel about the subject before you get a clear picture.

I wonder if some towns will be in a deeper financial crisis than others so from a property tax perspective, keeping an eye on the financial health might pay dividends. You know I'm not sure what a town's responsibility is versus the State in servicing the pensions, it is a State thing, but towns control the salaries so I wonder how the whole thing gets sorted out. I wonder if some mean and lean towns are going to get pissed at the fat and lazy ones. I wonder if the COLAs in Springfield, MA will be the same as for Boston? Governments are shifting costs from Federal to State and from State to local so financial health of a town will be important. When you hear that the Boston City Council is debating whether or not you should spank your kid's ass it makes you wonder if they are geared up for the tuning necessary to yield the financial health and quality education that the City needs. I'm not sure if towns have any financial requirements to meet or any capital structure benchmarks to adhere to so I'm not sure if a town could actually go bankrupt. I know some have better bond ratings than others. Taxes could certainly go up so again, the financial health and mental stability of the governing officials is important and will impact house values.

Housing bubbles, pension bubbles, industry segment bubbles, Big Dig was a bubble for our system, the baby boom is a bubble of population, tuition costs are bubbling... If you're a Republican, you might be afraid that the inmates are running the asylum now. I guess it is Budget time for State Government so all our fears that Massachusetts will be Taxachusetts is going to be determined in the next few weeks... I think this will impact housing and may be the impetus for some companies to pull up stakes..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bostonbubble.com Forum Index -> Greater Boston Real Estate & Beyond All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Forum posts are owned by the original posters.
Forum boards are Copyright 2005 - present, bostonbubble.com.
Privacy policy in effect.